Ottawa Pride parade cancelled due to pro-Palestinian protesters

Date:

Ottawa’s annual Pride parade was cancelled Sunday after being disrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters.

Parade organizers say members of a group called Queers for Palestine – Ottawa were marching in the Pride parade as invited guests when they decided to halt the procession.

Queers for Palestine said in a social media post that it halted the parade “with full support” from the grand marshal, but Capital Pride said the group was “insistent on misrepresenting our discussions.”

Some elected officials and other groups boycotted last year’s parade after Capital Pride released a statement expressing solidarity with Palestinians, but the statement has since been removed from the organization’s website.

A video posted online shows a protester calling for Capital Pride to recommit to solidarity with the pro-Palestinian cause and for elected officials who boycotted last year’s parade to apologize.

Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe, who attended Sunday’s parade, says it was “deeply regrettable” that the group of activists chose to block the event.

Capital Pride announced the cancellation of the parade, which was scheduled to travel past Parliament Hill, shortly before 3 p.m.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

This Week in Barrie: Week of May 18

  Free transit, recreation and fun for Barrie youth with...

Colts fall to Kitchener in sweep in OHL finals

The Barrie Colts' season is over. The team advanced to...

This Week in Barrie: Week of May 11

  Licence 2 Ride for Barrie Youth: Your Summer Pass...

Nuttall kicks off re-election campaign in Barrie

Mayor Alex Nuttall is ready for round two. On May...