Ontario considering buying back Highway 407, Premier Doug Ford says

Date:

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says his government is considering buying back Highway 407, which runs across the Greater Toronto Area.

The Mike Harris Progressive Conservative government sold Highway 407 in 1999 for $3.1 billion dollars to a consortium that included SNC Lavalin, Quebec’s provincial pension fund and Spanish company Ferrovial.

The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board now owns 50.01 per cent of 407 ETR, which runs the tolled highway.

The province owns a 22-kilometre stretch on the highway’s eastern flank and tolls drivers at a significantly cheaper rate than the private portion of the highway.

Ford is also doubling down on his idea to build an expressway tunnel underneath Highway 401 across the GTA, after announcing the launch of a feasibility study on it last week in an effort to reduce gridlock.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

This Week in Barrie: Week of August 17

  Registration for fall recreation programs opens August 25 This...

New paramedic post coming to north Barrie

A new paramedic post is coming to north Barrie. Pending...

Barn Burner charity hockey game nets record $702K

The annual Barn Burner charity hockey game in Barrie...

This Week in Barrie: Week of August 10

  Registration for fall recreation programs opens August 25 Mark...