The eastern extension of the O-Train has reached another milestone.
OC Transpo announced last week that it had received a certificate of substantial completion for the project, which will extend Ottawa’s light rail line 12.5 kilometres from Blair to Trim station in Orleans.
The certification confirms that the contractor has “delivered all new system infrastructure and that it is functional and can be safely operated and maintained,” Ottawa’s interim transit general manager Troy Charter said in a memo to council.
“This milestone is a significant step towards connecting east end communities to downtown and western neighbourhoods through the existing train system,” he wrote.
With this step complete, the Rideau Transit Maintenance consortium will now take over the rail line, which Charter said would happen in the coming days.
Before opening for passengers, trains must run in a trial service period and complete final systems preparations.
The five-stop extension has been delayed multiple times, but Charter said it’s on track to open in the second quarter of 2026.
A further update is expected at Wednesday’s transit committee meeting.
Charter said the city is still working with the consortium to deal with a mechanical issue that has forced them to operate single-car service on Line 1.
He said OC Transpo and the Rideau Transit Group are “working to complete new containment and monitoring measures” for the cartridge bearing assemblies — which connect the axels to the wheels — that would “allow the full fleet to be safely returned to operations.”
Once completed, trial running of the rehabilitated vehicles could start, he added.

